I have just been reading some family blogs about the polygamists being pursecuted here in Texas, and was inspired to share something:
My husband and I were discussing this last night. We officially do not agree with polygamy. HOWEVER, we are both of the opinion that if these poor people are having their rights violated, what is to stop the Texas State Government from violating ours when we become too far from the "mainstream"?
These people have the right to practice their religion however they see fit. There is no proof that they are hurting anyone.
Child Protective Services can be a good thing, don't get me wrong. But it seems to me that CPS is notorious for causing problems and not just solving them. What gave the Government the right to raid this compound?
I am going to steal a comment from my husband, because I think it's really good: For a moment, let's pretend this is happening to you and your church. There is one family in your church who may or may not be abusing their child/ren. Instead of gathering evidence and handling it with the family in question, the Government decides to take each and every child from his/her parents from every member of your church. Due to a shortage of available foster homes, your children are now being housed in group homes - or even worse, they are being sent to live with families who practice Satanic rituals and sacrifices on a regular basis. (Or Mormons or Muslims, whatever you want to insert there.)
How do you think you would feel?
Who is going to stand up for these people's rights? Where will the lines be drawn?
When will they come after you?
Thoughts On Awakening
7 years ago

2 comments:
I agree. I'm glad to see the kids going home finally. I have 4 daughters and another coming and I would be devestated if "they" took them away. (My youngest is Lily)
How's you dad doing?
Interesting...I hadn't thought of it that way. Good points!
Post a Comment