Check this out!

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pondering the season

I'll admit it: I got choked up Sunday morning, several times.

It wasn't the beautiful little ballerinas who Italicdanced during our choir special at church that made me cry. It wasn't the beautiful lights displayed all around the church, or the gorgeous PowerPoint presentation slides behind the words of the song we sang.

It was the words themselves that made tears stream down my face.

"Yea, Lord, we greet Thee, born this happy morning. Jesus, to Thee, be all glory giv'n. Word of the Father now in flesh appearing ..." [emphasis mine] - O Come, Let Us Adore Him

I am celebrating more than just the birth of an ordinary child. This is God's Word, Who came in the flesh. Unlimitable God decided to limit himself with flesh and time and all that goes with it. Omnipotent God lowered Himself to be clothed as a man. So that He could live without sin and die as payment for sin. My sin. Your sin. Not His. He knows no sin.

My three-year-old is beginning to ask some deep questions about God. She asked why Jesus had to be born. My mother (who takes care of her during the day) was honest with her and explained why Jesus had to be born - so that He could eventually die for us and our sin. She explained sin and Lily admitted that she has sinned, even in her young life. Grandma showed her the cross in her children's Bible and told her how Jesus rose again and is alive with God in Heaven now.

Sunday night, Lily asked what the cross was for in the sanctuary at church. I told her it was to remind us how Jesus died for us. Here is the cool part: She said, "Mommy, Jesus isn't on the cross anymore! " I told her that He wasn't on the cross because He is alive! A perplexed little girl wondered how that could be. Papa's dog, Blackie, died - and he's still dead. Grandma's mommy died - and she's still dead. "Jesus is God. That's why He could rise from the dead, Lily. He has power over death that none of us have." I answered.

Hmmmm. Deep thoughts for a kid. (And a grown up!) I pray that you, too, will be able to have these conversations with your family and loved ones. 'Tis the season to share the Gospel to a dying world. Go tell it on the mountain, over the hills and everywhere!

No comments: